”As the purse is emptied, the heart is filled.”
The other day, I was chilling out on the front stoop of my house with my toddler and thought to myself, “I could be doing something productive while he’s out here running around.” So I got my overflowing purse out of the van and dumped the contents out onto the sidewalk just to see what had accumulated in there. This is what I found:
- A small, spiral notebook I use for writing down anything and everything
- 5 pens
- A book of selected poems by Christina Rossetti
- My son’s scorecard from his round at the Sandia golf club in Albuquerque, New Mexico at the beginning of August
- My wallet
- A bag of trail mix leftover from our family road trip several weeks earlier
- Receipts for Safeway (5!), Target, the dentist, the college bookstore, Children’s Place, and Ben and Jerry’s
- Coupons (which I get with my Safeway receipts and never use)
- Writer’s notebook (barely written in)
- An old grocery list
- A ticket stub to the Debbie Reynolds concert I attended at the Arvada Center at the end of July
- Appointment reminder cards to the dentist and oral surgeon
- 2 containers of breath mints
- My cell phone
- A $5 bill (a very rare find)
- My teenage daughter’s Jonas Brothers wristwatch
- A kid’s hairbrush
- A small tube of lotion (a free sample picked up in the pediatrician’s office)
- 5 matchbox cars
- A partially-made friendship bracelet (dumped in my purse by youngest daughter)
- A feminine hygeine product
- A Brio-train car
- A small hand mirror
- Girls’ small hair clips
- A blue Crayola marker
I’ve heard it said that you can tell a lot about a woman by the contents of her purse. So what do these items reveal about me?
#1 I spend far too much time and money at the grocery store.
#2 My life revolves around my kids.
#3 I secretly long to live the writer’s life.
#4 I’m too busy to get organized.
#5 I believe a matchbox car (or 2 or 5) can save the day.
#6 You can never have too many pens on hand.
#7 My life is often a tangled mess at times, a receptacle filled to the brim and spilling over.
What do the contents of your purse reveal about you?